Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Train-a-mate...

A friend of mine e-mailed me a story of interest... Love Tips From Animal Trainers. Interesting! You should take a look. After reading this article it really opened my eyes. Positive reinforcement works! We all know it but do we really use it?
I don't, not all of the time, I can admit it. And, as you know... I don't have a mate either. But I do have a toddler, can you see where I am going with this?
Well, we are working on potty training right now but let me catch you up to speed...
Before we moved... Almost 100% there.
Post move... Regression!! Now we are using the potty when she wants to and throws a temper tantrum any other time.
So, I talked to her teacher yesterday to make sure this was an across-the-board behavior... No such luck. "She is usually the one asking to use the potty. She goes in and pulls down her pants, throws her diaper away on her own, and washer her hands without being told." Oh joy!!! Now it is time to rethink this whole potty thing at home. I know from friends and doctors that food is not a good reinforcement (especially M&Ms) and I don't want to do gifts.... Any suggestions?

No comments: